Key Verse: "For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die: but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar." - Acts 25:11 KJV
Paul has now spent two years in prison under Governor Felix. Felix is replaced by Festus, and Paul's accusers immediately renew their efforts to have him condemned. They bring numerous serious accusations against him, but they cannot prove any of them. Paul calmly answers: “Neither against the law of the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet against Cæsar, have I offended any thing at all.”
Festus, however, is concerned about pleasing the Jewish leaders. He asks Paul whether he is willing to go to Jerusalem and be judged there. Paul recognizes the danger.
He knows that another attempt is being made to put him in a situation where his enemies could have him killed. Because he is a Roman citizen, Paul exercises his legal right to appeal his case to Caesar.
“I appeal unto Cæsar.” That decision is significant because Jesus had already told Paul: “So must thou bear witness also at Rome.” — Acts 23:11
Paul did not yet know exactly how God would get him to Rome. Now he knows. He will go there as a prisoner.
This is another powerful example of God's providence. Paul's enemies wanted him dead. Festus wanted to satisfy the Jews.
But God was accomplishing His purpose through the very circumstances that seemed to be working against Paul.
Paul's appeal was not an act of panic or desperation. He was using the lawful rights available to him while continuing to trust God.
There is an important lesson here for us. Trusting God does not mean refusing to use wisdom. Paul prayed, preached, endured suffering, and trusted God's promises, but he also used the legal protections available to him.
Faith and wisdom belong together.
Paul also demonstrates remarkable patience. He has now been imprisoned for approximately two years, yet he continues to testify about Christ.
We might easily become discouraged after waiting that long for circumstances to change. But Paul's circumstances did not determine his faithfulness. He continued serving God where he was.
Sometimes we ask God, “Why haven't You changed my circumstances?” Perhaps the better question is: “Lord, how can I serve You in these circumstances?”
Paul's imprisonment could not stop God's plan. In fact, his imprisonment was becoming the means by which Paul would eventually reach Rome and testify before those in positions of great authority.
God was directing the journey, even through a prison cell.
Life Application
- Trust God's promises even when you cannot see how they will be fulfilled
- Use wisdom and lawful means when facing difficult circumstances
- Don't allow prolonged trials to make you spiritually discouraged
- Ask how God can use your present circumstances rather than only asking Him to change them
- Remember that God's plans can be accomplished through circumstances that appear to be setbacks
Prayer
Lord, help me trust You when I cannot understand the circumstances surrounding me. Give me wisdom to make good decisions and courage to stand for what is right. When I face long periods of waiting or difficulty, keep me from becoming discouraged. Help me see that You are still working, even when I cannot see Your hand. Teach me to serve You faithfully wherever You have placed me. Amen.
