Key Verse: "Pilate therefore said
unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a
king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world,
that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the
truth heareth my voice."
- John 18:37 KJV
Jesus now stands before Pontius Pilate, the Roman governor. This is no longer a religious trial, it is a political one. Yet even here, the truth is clear: Jesus is innocent. Pilate himself declares, “I find no fault in this man.” And yet, despite recognizing the truth, Pilate gives in to the pressure of the crowd. This moment reveals a tragic exchange.
A guilty man, Barabbas, is set free. An innocent man, Jesus, is condemned.
This is more than a historical event, it is a picture of the gospel.
We are Barabbas.
Guilty, deserving judgment, yet released because Jesus takes our place.
As the crowd cries out, “Crucify him!”, we see how quickly public opinion can be swayed. The same voices that once praised Jesus now demand His death.
Pilate tries to wash his hands of responsibility, but neutrality is not an option when it comes to Jesus. Each person must decide what they will do with Him.
Jesus, once again, stands in quiet strength. He does not argue, defend, or resist. He is fully committed to the Father’s will, knowing that the cross is the path to redemption.
Life Application
- Recognize Jesus took your place
- Stand for truth, even under pressure
- Don’t let others influence your commitment to Christ
- Personally decide what you will do with Jesus
Prayer
Lord, thank You for taking my place and bearing the punishment I deserved. Help me to stand firm in truth and not be swayed by others. Give me the courage to follow You faithfully, no matter the cost. Amen.
